Pest Control AdviserPrint Back
Pest control advisers are responsible for scouting crops and identifying pests that can affect a farmer’s harvest. Based on their observations they then make recommendations on treatment and suggest products or other methods to control or prevent problems.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Inspect farmer’s fields for pests that can impact yield
- Identify pests that are present and the damage that they are causing
- Make recommendations on treatment plans based on findings
- Sells company products and services
- Maintains sales programs within assigned territory/accounts
- Monitors competitive activity and trends
- May be required to keep records and prepare reports on sales activities
- Continue to learn new product features, benefits, and usage
- Responsible to continue education on marketing techniques, products and services
- Provides training to employees, farmers and technicians as needed
- Work with farmers to conduct field trials in your territory
- Determine cost analysis in order to determine the most economical solutions
- Develop fertilizer formulations based on pesticide application
- Publishes and distributes periodic summaries of agronomic observations and research to customers
- Maintains and builds customer contracts
- Speak at
industry events on topics that are of interest to growers
What education and training is required?
A bachelor’s degree in agricultural related program such as agronomy or entomology.
To pursue a career as a pest control adviser:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, a focus on sciences such as chemistry and biology, and mathematics.
Where can I work?
Pest control advisers may work independently and are hired on a contractual basis. Some advisers especially in the vegetable industry may be employed by large grower operations. Chemical companies also have advisers who work for them and suggest the right solution that they manufacture.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The job outlook for pest control adviser will be great over the next five years.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- National Agriculture Aviators Association
- National Alliance of Independent Crop Consultants
- American Society of Agricultural Consultants
- National Pest Management Association
Current Job Openings
Outside Sales Representative - Environmental Science
Orchards & Garden Technician
Custom Applicator - Ag-Land FS - New Holland, IL
Electrical Lead- Lincoln, NE