|Salary Range:||Grade 25|
|Benefits:||An excellent benefit package is offered|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:|| The Senior Policy Advisor (SPA) leads and manages the implementation of work that seeks to fulfill LWR's public policy goals. S/he crafts, in consultation with relevant staff, strategies and provides strategic and contextual advice and counsel regarding public policy issues related to international relief and development work, US foreign policy and foreign assistance trends and issues, and other key international organizations to the Director for NBD, VP for IPD, and the President and CEO. S/he will lead the implementation of public policy/advocacy strategies designed to complement and enhance LWR's international relief and development program work and directional goals. |
- Design, implement, and evaluate public policy platforms and strategies that position LWR to increase its influence and mission.
- Provide strategic advice, analysis and counsel to LWR's VP/IPD and President/CEO on policy developments in Washington, DC related to humanitarian action and sustainable development -particularly food security and international agriculture.
- Lead development of policy and position statements and papers as necessary. Examples include positions on USAID procurement regulations, OFAC and Patriot Act regulations, Foreign Aid Reform processes, etc...
- Identify and help strategize on new business opportunities for LWR in line with LWR objectives and priority areas; maintain key relationships with US government funding agencies. Track and analyze key foreign assistance initiatives, including Feed the Future, the Global health Initiative, the President's Malaria Initiative, PEPFAR, and others.
- Coordinate with IPD staff in conducting policy analysis on climate change, food security and international agriculture, and humanitarian crisis/ response
- Incorporate information and perspectives from international programs and program staff into policy positions
and advocacy positions for use by LWR staff and other stakeholders
- Write sign-on letters, prepare testimony and develop LWR positions for approval by the VP for IPD and the President in response to emerging and ongoing issues
- Serve as one of LWR's primary public policy and spokespeople with the administration, congress and appropriate officials of multilateral institutions
- Identify and take advantage of opportunities for partnership with advocacy organizations that will highlight LWR's work for a larger audience
- Supervise and conduct performance appraisals for Program Associate for Legislative Affairs and Outreach
- Engagement in ongoing professional development.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Deep commitment to LWR's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Master's degree in related field (International Relations, Political Science, Regional Studies, Public Policy)
- At least 3 years experience analyzing policy, designing and implementing policy initiatives related to international issues
- Demonstrated experience and familiarity with US Federal Legislative processes and foreign assistance funding processes. Demonstrated connections to key legislative offices, relevant federal agencies, and US-based advocacy networks and organizations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel within the United States and globally, approximately 25-40% annually
- Experience with analysis and advocacy on behalf of faith-based organizations
- Fluency in the English language; French or Spanish fluency desired
- Experience with and commitment to working in a very diverse workforce.
- Familiarity with Lutheranism, church structures, and church member motivations and sensitivities preferred.
|This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings. |