11 Best Demat & Trading Account In India 2017 Review & Comparison
(Last Updated: Feb 2017) I opened my first demat account in 2006 just after getting my first job. I was excited to invest in the stock markets. I had my salary account with ICICI and it was damn easy to get a demat and trading account with ICICI bank. But later I realised that ICICI charges a hell lot of charges for trading and delivery of shares into account. I still kept using ICICI for a couple of years. Why? Because my trading volume was very low and my overall investment in stock market was less than 1,00,000 rupees. Most of my investment was in Mutual Funds and Fixed Deposits. It was easy to transfer funds from my saving account to demat account, so the high transaction charges did not bother me. Know the difference between demat and trading account before investing. A trading account is used to place buy or sell orders in the stock market. Demat means dematerialising shares into digital format rather than on physical paper. The demat account is used as a bank where shares bought are deposited in, and where shares sold are taken from. You will get a single account for demat & trading. In 2010, I started investing heavily into stock markets. In past few years I opened accounts with Ventura Securities, Angel Broking and Sharekhan.
(Last Updated: Feb 2017)
I opened my first demat account in 2006 just after getting my first job. I was excited to invest in the stock markets. I had my salary account with ICICI and it was damn easy to get a demat and trading account with ICICI bank.
But later I realised that ICICI charges a hell lot of charges for trading and delivery of shares into account. I still kept using ICICI for a couple of years. Why? Because my trading volume was very low and my overall investment in stock market was less than 1,00,000 rupees.
Most of my investment was in Mutual Funds and Fixed Deposits.
It was easy to transfer funds from my saving account to demat account, so the high transaction charges did not bother me.
Know the difference between demat and trading account before investing.
A trading account is used to place buy or sell orders in the stock market. Demat means dematerialising shares into digital format rather than on physical paper. The demat account is used as a bank where shares bought are deposited in, and where shares sold are taken from. You will get a single account for demat & trading.
In 2010, I started investing heavily into stock markets. In past few years I opened accounts with Ventura Securities, Angel Broking and Sharekhan.
You can read the detailed review of demat accounts and decide what is best trading platform for you.
Best demat account for small investors in India
#1. Angel Broking Demat Account
Angel broking is one of the oldest brokerage company in India having established network branches in over 900 cities. At present angel broking providing service to more than 10,00,000 customers.
Angel broking ‘s customer care service is up to the mark. I am personally using it for a long time.
Angel Broking Provided Trading Platforms
- Angel Eye – A web based platform useful for portfolio tracking and undated quotes. It also provide up-to-date market information and live news. I use Angel Eye platform for transactions.
- Angel Broking App – A mobile app useful to view current market prices and track your portfolio.
- Angel Speed Pro – An installable software comes with 30 days intraday and 20 years historical data.
- Margin provided up to 10 times of the amount deposit.
- Free SMS advisory service for 3 months.
- You can start trading within 1 hour through digital KYC.
Account Charges of Angel Broking
- Trading Account Opening Charges – Rs 0.
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Rs 0.
- Annual Maintenance Charges
- Angel Classic ( 10,000 to 24,999) – Rs 450 per annum.
- Angel Preferred ( 25,000 to 49,999) – No AMC for 1st year and Rs 450 p.a afterwards.
- Angel Premier ( 50,000 to 99,999) – No AMC for 2 year and Rs 450 p.a afterwards.
- Angel Elite ( 1,00,000 & more) – No AMC for 3 years and Rs 450 p.a afterwards.
|Trading/ Delivery||10000 to 24999||25000 to 49999||50000 to 99999||100000 & more|
|Nifty Options per lot||40||32||24||16|
Everything is great except one thing. Brokerage charge is capped at a minimum of Rs 30 per transaction, which makes angel broking a little less beneficial for the small investors. You have to bear higher brokerage charges even on the small transactions.
#2. Sharekhan Demat & Trading Account
Sharekhan is one of the leading online brokerage company having more than 12 lakh customer base. Presently company has providing service from more than 1800 offices across 550 cities.
Sharekhan offers two type of accounts
1) Classic Account – Classic account is a online trading account for equities and derivatives best suited for investors. This account has the features like multiple watch lists, real-time portfolio tracking with price alerts and integrated banking.
2) Trade Tiger Account – Trade tiger account is a net based executable application for active traders who trade frequently during the day’s trading session.
I have their classic account because I am not a trader, I am a value investor.
Account Charges of Sharekhan account
- Trading Account Opening Charges – Rs 750 for classic & Rs 1000 for Trade Tiger [But they waive off the account opening charges most of the times]
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Included in trading account opening charges
- Demat Account Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 400
- Trading Account Annual Maintenance Charges- Rs 0
|Equity Intraday||0.1% on both sell & buy ( min 5 paise/share)|
|Equity Delivery||0.5% ( min 10 paise/share)|
|Equity Options||Rs 100 per lot or 2.5% on premium ( whichever is higher)|
|Prepaid Amount||Period||Intraday||Delivery||Futures||Options (Higher of % on premium)|
|Rs 1000||6 months||0.09% (min 5p)||0.45%||0.09%||2.5 % or Rs 95|
|Rs 2000||12 months||0.07% (min 5P)||0.40%||0.07%||1.5% or Rs 80|
|Rs 6000||12 months||0.05% (min5P)||0.25%||0.05%||1% or Rs 70|
|Rs 18000||12 months||0.04% (min 4P)||0.20%||0.04%||1% or Rs 50|
|Rs 30000||12 months||0.03% (min 3P)||0.18%||0.03%||0.75% or Rs 40|
|Rs 60000||12 months||0.02% (min 2P)||0.15%||0.02%||0.50% or Rs 30|
|Rs 100000||12 months||0.015% (min 2P)||0.1%||0.015%||0.50% or Rs 25|
|Rs 200000||12 months||0.005% (min 2p)||0.08%||0.005%||Flat Rs 10|
Benefits of Sharekhan
- Account opening charges are adjusted towards first six months brokerage or waived off.
- No annual maintenance charge for the first year.
- Sharekhan provides online & offline training workshops to investors.
- Free call & trade facility.
Drawbacks of Sharekhan
- Minimum brokerage charge per stock would reduce your profit on trading small (penny) stock.
- Brokerage rate is higher as compared to other demat companies. But you can negotiate at the time of account opening.
#3. Motilal Oswal Demat Account
Motilal oswal financial services is at the third position in the list of best demat accounts in India. Motilal Oswal provides a huge number of services such as private wealth management, retail broking and distribution, institutional broking, asset management, investment banking, private equity, commodity broking, currency broking, principal strategies & home finance.
Presently the company has more than 1700 business locations with over 7.5 lakh registered customers. Motilal oswal’ solid research based advice is the reason of such a strong customer base. They spend Around 10% revenue on research and on hiring & training for research.
I do my own research before buying any stocks, so their research calls are not helpful to me.
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Rs 0
- Trading Account Opening Charges -Rs 0
- Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 450.
Motilal Oswal Brokerage Charges
|Equity Options||75/ lot|
Motilal Oswal Trading Platforms
- Desktop Trading Platform – A desktop based platform which needs to installed in the system, provides to access over 30,000 research reports across all asset classes.
- Web Trading Platform – Accounts can be accessed very easily with any system through web
- Mobile Trading Platform – A mobile platform which allow to trade through mobiles and tablets.
Benefits of Motilal Oswal
- Award winning research advise covers around 95% of market capitalisation.
- Provides free brokerage for the first month.
#4. 5Paisa Demat Account
5 paisa is an online trading company of India infoline securities pvt. Ltd. IIFL has a wide network of 4000+ branches over 900+ cities.
5 paisa earlier charged 5 paisa brokerage. But now the company changes the policy and start charging a flat rate of Rs 10 per executable order irrespective to the trade volume.
- Trading & Demat Account Opening Charges( one time) – Rs 750
- First Year Annual Maintenance Charges– Nil
- Annual Maintenance Charges– Rs 400
Margin provided by 5paisa
|Equity Intraday||Upto 15 times|
|Equity Delivery||5 times|
|Equity Futures||2 times|
|Equity Options||2 times|
|Currency F&O||2 times|
5Paisa Brokerage Structure
|Equity Intraday||Rs 10 per executed order|
|Equity Delivery||Rs 10 per executed order|
|Equity Futures||Rs 10 per executed order|
|Equity Options||Rs 10 per executed order|
|Currency F&O||Rs 10 per executed order|
5Paisa Trading Platform
- Investor Terminal –Investor terminal is for the low volume traders. This is a web based terminal and easy to access.
- Trader Terminal –Trader terminal is for high volume traders which provides powerful interface and fast execution.
Advantages of 5 Paisa
- No annual maintenance charge for the first year.
Disadvantages of 5 Paisa
- Charges Rs 20 for offline trade.
#5. Ventura Securities
Ventura is a full service broking company which provides service to clients to invest in equity, equity derivatives, commodities, mutual funds, fixed income products and currency futures.
I am Ventura customer for a long time. Their web based online trading platform is not as matured as Angel & Sharekhan but they provide good support over phone. Their windows based trading platform is also good. You will need a little trading before starting your trading on their platform.
- Trading Account Opening Charges– Rs 150
- Demat Account Opening Charges– Rs 300
- First Year Annual Maintenance Charges– Nil
- Demat Account Annual Maintenance Charges– Rs 400
- Trading Account Annual Maintenance Charges-Nil
Ventura charge different brokerage rate depends upon the plan that you will choose. You have to pay the plan amount at the account opening time. Your brokerage will be adjusted against deposit throughout the year.
|Plan||Refundable amount||Validity||Equity Delivery||Equity Intraday||Equity Futures||Equity Options|
|Rs 1,000||Rs 1,000||1 year||0.45%||0.05%||0.05%||Rs 50 per lot|
|Rs 2,000||Rs 2,000||1 year||0.35%||0.04%||0.04%||Rs 50 per lot|
|Rs 3,500||Rs 3,500||1 year||0.20%||0.03%||0.03%||Rs 50 per lot|
|Rs 5,000||Rs 5,000||1 year||0.17%||0.025%||0.025%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 7,500||Rs 7,500||1 year||0.15%||0.02%||0.02%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 9,999||Rs 9,999||1 year||0.15%||0.02%||0.02%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 10,000||Rs 10,000||6 months||0.15%||0.015%||0.015%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 15,000||Rs 15,000||6 months||0.13%||0.0125%||0.0125%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 18,000||Rs 18,000||1 year||0.15%||0.015%||0.015%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 25,000||Rs 25,000||1 year||0.13%||0.0125%||0.0125%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 30,000||Rs 30,000||1 year||0.10%||0.01%|| 0.01%
|Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 40,000||Rs 43,000||1 year||0.10%||0.01%||0.01%||Rs 25 per lot|
|Rs 50,000||Rs 55,000||1 year||0.10%||0.01%||0.01%||Rs 21 per lot|
|Rs 72,000||Rs 80,000||1 year||0.10%||0.01%||0.01%||Rs 18 per lot|
Ventura Trading Platform
- Ventura Pointer –This is a software based trading platform which is to be installed in the system. Ventura pointer has the features like customizes watch marker window, detail scrip and allow study, analyze & trade from chart window.
- Web Based Trading – et. ventura1.com is a web based trading platform but it lacks a lot of features.
- Ventura Wealth – V entura wealth is a mobile app based trading platform. This app is free if you register under plan Rs 9,999. This provides real time trading and live market updates.
Advantages of Ventura Security
- Offers a wide range of financial products to invest which includes equity, equity derivatives, commodities, mutual funds, fixed income products and currency futures.
- First year AMC is free.
- The mobile app make trading more user friendly.
Disadvantages of Ventura Security
- You have to deposit a fixed yearly fee based on your plan along with the brokerage. The amount is refundable only if you generates similar amount of brokerage for Ventura in a year.
#6. Religare Demat Account
Religare securities Ltd. (RSL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of religare enterprise. RSL is a diversified financial service group which serving more than 8 lakh across both online and offline platforms.
RSL offers broking services in equity, currency and commodity along with depository participant services.
- Demat Account Opening Charges– Nil
- Trading Account Opening Charges– Nil
- First Year Annual Maintenance Charges –Nil
- Annual Maintenance Charges From 2nd Year– Rs 500
Advantages of Religare Securities Ltd
- RSL provide mobile trading platform to place order anytime from anywhere.
- Provides facility of investing in equities, derivatives, currency, futures, commodities, mutual funds and IPOs through a single account.
- Provides intraday reporting and historical charting.
Disadvantages of Religare Securities Ltd
- Charge Rs 10 per offline order with a maximum limit of Rs 50 per day.
Best Bank For Demat Account in India ( 3-in-1 account )
#7. ICICI Direct Demat and Trading Account
ICICI direct is one the largest share brokerage company having more than 20 lakh customers. ICICI Direct provides a wide range of services and investment options which includes
- Investment in equities, derivatives, mutual funds, SIP, IPO, NCD & bonds, ETF and currency.
- Wealth products.
- Home loans & loan against securities.
ICICI offers 3 types of brokerage plans
1) I- Saver plan
A variable percentage of brokerage is charged on basis of quarterly turnover. Higher the turnover, lesser will be the brokerage.
|Turnover per quarter||Delivery Rate||Intraday Rate|
|Above Rs 5 crore||0.25%||0.125%|
|Rs 2 cr to 5 cr||0.30%||0.150%|
|Rs 1 cr to 2 cr||0.35%||0.175%|
|Rs 50 lakh to 1 cr||0.45||0.225%|
|Rs 25 lakh to 50 L||0.55%||0.275%|
|Less than Rs 25 L||0.75%||0.375|
2) I- Secure Plan
A fixed percentage of brokerage is charged on turnover. There is no turnover based slab rates like I- saver plan.
|Turnover per quarter||Delivery Rate||Intraday Rate|
|Irrespective of turnover||0.55%||0.275%|
3) Prepaid Brokerage Plan
You have to pay prepaid brokerage under this plan. The brokerage rate is lesser as compare to the other two plan. But your money will be locked & not beneficial for seasonal traders or investors to lock their money.
|Prepaid Card Value||Delivery Brokerage Rate||Intraday Brokerage Rate|
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Rs 100
- Trading Account Opening Charges -Rs 975
- Demat Account Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 500
- Trading Account Annual Maintenance Charges- Rs 0
ICICIDirect Trading Platforms
- Share Trading Account – A web based platform with which you can do all the trading and investing activities. This is not purpose full if you want to do technical analysis for trading.
- Trade Racer – Trading platform suits for technical analysis as well. This provides features like live streaming quotes & research cells and integrated fund transfer system.
- Only beneficial to ICICI customers who want to centralized his/her saving account, trading account and demat account at one place.
- High brokerage rate, not cost effective for regular trader and investors.
- Minimum brokerage charge is Rs 35 or 2.5% of trade value whichever is lower.
#8. SBICap Securities
SBICap offers investment banking services which includes
- Capital Markets (including Public Issues, Rights Issues & Private Placement of Debt and Equity)
- Broking Services
- Financial Engineering
- Resource Mobilisation through Capital Markets
- Account Opening Charges -Rs 1000
- Account Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 800
SBICap Brokerage Charges
|Transaction Form||Brokerage (higher of)|
|Equity Intraday||0.05% or 5 paisa per share|
|Delivery||0.50% or 5 paisa per share|
|Futures||0.05% or 5 paisa per share|
|Options||Rs 100/ lot|
SBICap Trading Platforms
- SBI Desktop Trading Software – This is a software called eZ-trade@sbi which is provided to all the clients trading with them. This software has to instal in the computer.
- SBI Smart Trading Mobile App – This mobile app mobile allows SBI customers to trade in equities and derivatives through their mobile phones.
#9. HDFC Security
HDFC security limited is a subsidiary of India’s largest private bank HDFC. HDFC securities provides 3-in-1 account which integrate your saving account, trading account and demat account.
- Account Opening Charges -Rs 0
- Account Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 750 ( free for first year)
|Transaction Form||Brokerage (Rs 25 or 2.5% on transaction whichever is lower)|
|Equity deliver||0.50% on both( buy & sell)|
|Square-Off Trades Cash & Carry Scrips||0.10% on both( buy & sell)|
|Square-Off Trades Margin Scrips||0.05% on both( buy & sell)|
|Futures Non-Square Off||0.05% on both( buy & sell)|
|Futures Square Off||0.025% on both( buy & sell)|
|Options Higher||of 1% on premium or Rs 100 per lot|
HDFC Trading Platform
- Web Based Trading – This is a web based trading platform called “ Securities trading and Securities processing”. This is one the best e-brokerage platform. It provides the real time market data and trading options.
- HDFC Securities Mobile Trading – HDFC mobile platform allow to trade in equities and derivatives through their mobile phones.
- Due to integrated accounts, funds can easily transfer from one account to another. Only helpful for HDFC saving account customers.
- High brokerage rate as compared to discount brokers.
- HDFC security doesn’t offer service in the commodity market.
- If you are new customer to HDFC, then firstly you have to open the saving account.
Best demat account in India with a lowest brokerage
Zerodha is one of the largest discount broker having more than Over 1.5 lakh trading customers with average daily trading transaction of over Rs 10,000 crore.
Zerodha is best for the small investors because there is no minimum charges of brokerage per trade. The brokerage rate is 0.01% or Rs 20 per executed order whichever is lower. This will lead you in saving on brokerage.
Their main business review comes from derivatives, hence they have decided to charge zero brokerage on delivery.
Zerodha also offers a 60 Day Challenge. If a trader is net profitable in a 60 day period, all the brokerage charged to him will be refunded. Maximum brokerage reversal is capped at Rs 6000 per challenge.
Key Benefits of Zerodha
- Delivery is totally free. No brokerage on delivery.
- No minimum cap of brokerage per transaction.
- Maximum brokerage charge capped to Rs 20 irrespective of transaction volume.
- Provide margin from 4 to 10 times.
- Trading Account Opening Charges ( one time) – Rs 300
- Demat Account opening Charges ( one time) – Rs 100
- Trading Account Maintenance Charges (AMC) – Rs 0
- Demat Account Maintenance Charges (AMC) – Rs 300 per year
Zerodha Brokerage Charges
- Equity Delivery- zero brokerage
- Equity Intraday- 0.01% or Rs 20/per trade whichever is lower
- Equity Futures- 0.01% or Rs 20/per trade whichever is lower
- Equity Options- flat Rs 20 per trade.
Zerodha Trading Platforms
- Zerodha Trader – A complete trading solution for the investors and traders which provide complete market data and multi market access from a single front end.
- Zerodha Z5 – A browser based website specially for the users having low internet speed of less than 512 Kbps.
- Zerodha Mobile – A mobile app through which you can trade from your mobile also.
- Zerodha Pi – A next generation trading platform having many features such as integrating charting with up to 50,000 candles.
Note: You should not open Zerodha account just because it offers lowest rates. I do not have any account with Zerodha because I am not a trader. You should open Zerodha if your trade volume is more than 1Cr per year.
RKSV is indian based discount brokerage company specially know for flat Rs 20 per trade brokerage irrespective to the size of the trade.
RKSV provides trading services to buy & sell stocks, futures & option and Commodities online.
The customer base of RKSV is not as much as the the brokerage companies. Presently they have over 22000 customers.
- Trading Account Opening Charges – Nil
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Nil
- Demat Account Annual Maintenance Charges – Nil
- Trading Account Annual Maintenance Charges- Nil
RKSV Brokerage Charges
|Equity delivery||Rs 0|
|Equity intraday||Rs 20 per executed order|
|Equity futures||Rs 20 per executed order|
|Equity options||Rs 20 per executed order|
|Currency F&O||Rs 20 per executed order|
|Commodity futures||Rs 20 per executed order|
- 20X on equities.
- 4x on NSE F&O.
- 4x on BSE/NSE Currency F&O.
- 3x on MCX Futures.
RKSV Trading Platforms
- Upstox is the mobile and website based trading platform. This platform supports both mobiles and web based. It offers online trading, analysis and charting.
- NEST Trading Platform include installable trading terminal, website based trading and mobile trading facility.
Benefits of RKSV
- Big investors can save decent amount of their money through flat brokerage charge of Rs 20. Not consider the transaction value while imposing the brokerage.
- Delivery is totally free.
- RKSV offers 10% referral credit to its customers. Simply refer a friend and 10% of brokerage paid by your friend is credited to you.
Disadvantages of RKSV
- RKSV doesn’t provide facility to invest in IPO, FPO and Mutual Funds.
- Additional charge of Rs 20 per executable order on Call & trade option.
- 3-in-1 accounts facility is not available.
Which account are you going to open and why?
I tried to collect all required information in a single article. I would like to know which account you liked. Kindly let me know in the comments.
As disclosed earlier, I have demat accounts with ICICI, Ventura, Angel Broking and Sharekhan. My trade volume is not very large. I buy one stock and hold it for more than one year. I selected companies which offer me reliable service rather than just low brokerage.
Awaiting for your comment below